Albumen print from a collodion glass negative, 7.4 x 9.8 cm.
BnF, Prints and Photographs Department, EO-99 (3)-PET FOL
© Bibliothèque nationale de France
During his fleeting tenure at 124 Avenue des Champs-Élysées, Adrien Tournachon specialized in equestrian photography. Having received the honorary title of the "Empress's Photographer" in January, 1856, in 1861 he was commissioned to photograph the trained animals, clowns and acrobats of the Empress's Circus, which had taken up residence on the Champs Élysées, in the spot currently occupied by the Carré Marigny. Taken outdoors in the sumer sun, these pretty little scenes were meant to be sold to the public as small cards or stereoscopic views.