In the 1867 exposition, the centrepiece was a huge ellipse-shaped building gathering 52,000 exhibitors from all parts of the world. It was the first building erected on the Champ de Mars.
This glass palace was surrounded with pavilions, evocative of every architectural style, spread in great gardens designed
by the architect Alphand.
Two wide panoramic shots by Martens present a general view of them.
The extent of the undertaking was as remarkable as the richness of the inside décors. Every nation joined in the competition by displaying the greatest showpieces of its artistic, industrial and scientific achievements, as is illustrated by the fantastic series of photographs by the Bisson brothers.